Thursday 5 April 2012

Katy’s Elite League Play-off Journal – Week 1 continued…

Originally published on http://www.ukamericansportsfans.com/ on 1st April 2012

Friday 30th March

Anticipation builds up prior to the weekend’s games. I feel more than a shade of jealousy following the excitement as it gathers pace on the social networks, wishing I could be a part of it. To comfort me, the thought of 48 hours of basking in the full-on hockey glory that only the playoff final weekend can provide.

I consider who the favourites to qualify are. I’ve started to feel as though Coventry Blaze may be in with a good chance; in terms of momentum they are flying: of the nine games they have played so far in March they have lost only two, although worryingly, both of these losses were sustained at the hands of the Devils. I wonder if they can find a way around them this weekend. They seem to have a really positive vibe coming out of the camp at the moment. And I really feel that if Hull approach their game in an attacking mindset and go all out, they have a chance against a Steelers team who seem from the outside looking in, to be an unsettled group. I worry for Dundee. The confidence surrounding the Giants on and off the ice is ridiculous. And I am purple through and through as I keep everything crossed that Braehead can hang onto their lead at the NIC.

Saturday 31st March

Game faces are summoned up and down the country. I’m restless, involving myself in the afternoon’s football action to try and dull the nagging sense of needing to be somewhere, needing to be a part of the building tension going on in Belfast, Hull, Coventry and Nottingham. It’s not so bad: it’s not as if I’ve experienced this situation before, as Vipers finished 9th last season, so I don’t really know what I’m missing. But I’m missing it nonetheless.

I place a cheeky wager on the outcome of the games. Can’t resist. There’s drama in Belfast as the bomb squad are summoned near the Odyssey Arena but thankfully nothing comes of the scare. I’ll be following the action via the medium of Twitter and even through that I can feel the tension building as face-off time creeps ever closer. I settle down for an evening of clicking and waiting.

First blood Cardiff Devils, who go 1-0 up in Coventry with a short-handed goal through Scott Dobben. Shortly afterwards Blaze equalise – all the action so far coming from the West Midlands. It sounds lively in Hull too despite a lack of goals, but there’s not a word from the other two rinks – I set off on an Elite League live scores page mission.

First periods end. A cagey start in Hull where the score is still tied 0-0. I vaguely wonder if a tied game would go to overtime and realise I should really know these things. I figure there wouldn’t be much point seeing as the games were two-legged affairs. Belfast are one up on Dundee and Nottingham one up on Braehead. Come on Clan.

First period break… radio silence…

Then a flurry of activity – Steelers 1-0, Blaze 2-1. A little while later, Giants take a 3-0 lead despite Chris Whitley seemingly standing on his head in net. The claws are coming out around the rinks as frustrations begin to bubble and rise to the surface. Penalties are chalked up and banter gets serious. Hull equalise. Things get chippy and there’s some chirping as the second period draws to a close in Hull. Whitley can’t do it all on his own at the Odyssey and Jon Pelle chalks up a fourth for the Giants – this one looks as though it may be over before it starts. Nottingham pull level with Braehead – the end may be in sight for the Glasgow side despite thousands of hockey fans willing them to victory.

Blaze score again from Fussey. Looks like my betting slip is up the swanny. Then Steelers score and it looks like double bad news. But Hull equalise! It’s all happening! Then Braehead score through Galbraith – what did I tell you! Come ON the Clan! Cardiff pull one back to make it 3-2 – now we have some real playoff hockey on our hands, and aside from the Belfast game every single tie could go either way at this point – I love it! Cardiff EQUALISE!!! Not just game on, but GAMES ON! And what on earth has happened to the Blaze? A few weak moments and suddenly it’s anybody’s game. It sounds like an electrifying atmosphere and a great effort, but the Cardiff fans have to be the happier of the two.

And then it all goes wrong. Despite being arguably the better side, and clearly being the more passionate and fired up, coach Sylvain Cloutier reportedly dancing with the fans, it ends 2-2 at Hull and my bet is off, but fair play to the ‘Rays for taking it to the Steelers – who knows how they will fare back in Sheffield tomorrow. The Devils end with a draw and have to feel confident going back to the Big Blue Tent. Giants grab a last gasp goal from Mike Hoffman to effectively put an end to Dundee’s hopes, bar a miracle, and it goes to overtime in Nottingham but there is heartbreak for the Clan fans and indeed for hockey fans all over the UK who have been honorary members of the purple army as Brandon Benedict scores, making Panthers the first side to qualify for finals weekend.

What a night. And I didn’t even see a single minute of hockey! The anticipation for tomorrow and next weekend is palpable, I can almost taste it. Things are finely poised and anything could happen. Time to get some sleep, I need to be fresh for another night of the thrills and spills that only Elite League ice hockey can provide. More coverage tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment